- What types of images should I upload?
- What is a JPEG?
- Can images in a PowerPoint presentation be used?
- How do I categorize my Upload or Collection?
- Can I delete something I uploaded?
- What is the ASH image review process and how long will it take for my image to appear on the Image Bank?
1. What types of images should I upload?
Because the images will be used for web display, we ask that files be formatted as follows:
- Saved as .jpg (JPEG)
- 800 pixels width
- Scale height accordingly
- Scanned at 300 dpi
2. What is a JPEG?
- JPEG is a form of compression
- Bitmap only
- Can produce very small file sizes, idea for the Web
- Not suitable for print
- Loses data to make files smaller, which cannot be recovered
3. Can images in a PowerPoint presentation be used?
Yes, the best way to convert PowerPoint images is to do a File, Save As, JPG file format. This will make each page of your PowerPoint into a separate image file which you can then upload.
4. How do I categorize my Upload or Collection?
Categorizing your image or Collection is critical for it to be found on the Image Bank browse page. You will be prompted to categorize your Images upon upload, and Collections upon making public.
The ASH Image Bank taxonomy has three levels. Begin by selecting a top level category from the dropdown. When a category is selected, the sub-categories for that category become available for selection. You are not required to select a sub-category at any point, and are encouraged to only select the topics that apply to your image. Once you have finished a layer of up to three categories and sub-categories, click the "Categorize" button, and the selected categories will appear below. You may tag your image or Collection with as many Category layers as needed.
5. Can I delete something I uploaded?
Yes. In order to delete or edit one of your uploaded items, click on the My Activity tab on the top navigation, and then click on My Uploads. Find the item in question and click on the title, and you will be brought to the detail view for that item where you may edit or delete the item.
6. What is the ASH image review process and how long will it take for my image to appear on the Image Bank?
ASH administrators review all images before they enter the Image Bank. Upon submission, your image will enter a queue for administrative and expert review. Any inappropriate or irrelevant submissions will be immediately rejected.
You may be asked to change or update data associated with your image during the review process, or an administrator may directly update the information. If asked to update information, please respond in a timely manner to the request.
Images may take up to 2 weeks to appear in the Image Bank, but most images will be approved within a matter of days. The best way to encourage rapid acceptance is to provide accurate data and tagging for your upload.
Any changes you make to your image or image data will send the image back into the review queue. These images should be accepted back into the bank within a matter of days.